Formed in 1979, the Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA) cultivates a future in which sustainable and organic farmers thrive, local food nourishes our communities, and agricultural practices protect and enhance our environment.
Farm Policy Matters
- Guest blog post by Sasha Miller, Purplebrown Farmstead and Farm Store More folks should discuss the farm bill when it renews every five years because it affects so much of our society through its policies and […]
- The National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (NSAC) is a coalition of grassroots organizations that focuses on advancing sustainable agriculture and food systems. NSAC accomplishes these goals by advocating for federal policy reforms. Across this network, relationships are […]
- It’s been a while since we’ve shared in-depth updates on our soil health policy efforts in Ohio. But rest assured, behind the scenes and at the Statehouse, OEFFA’s policy team, the Ohio Soil Health Initiative (OSHI), […]
- Hey there! My name is Nicole Wolcott, and I am new to the OEFFA policy team. I am thrilled to join this amazing group. Over the past five years, I have been so lucky to have […]
OEFFA has operated an organic certification program since 1981. While the standards and the process have evolved since then, what hasn’t changed is OEFFA’s commitment to uphold the integrity of organics and provide farmers and handler/processors a pathway for profitability.
With 10 percent of small farmers exiting farming each year, and a current median farming age of 59, helping new farmers successfully enter and thrive in their businesses is vitally important for the future of U.S. agriculture.
But, beginning farmers face significant hurdles, including attaining knowledge, skills, and experience in production practices; acquiring the fundamental business planning and financial management knowledge and skills; and accessing farmland and capital as part of the substantial investment farming requires.
OEFFA Outreach is intended to increase awareness of and access to programs and services that support you as sustainable farmers, food system workers, and consumers. Our goal is to provide a platform for growth and networking through the sharing of information and the connection of people.
- The Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA), in partnership with Common Greens, is celebrating National Farmers Market Week (August 6-12) at the Clintonville Farmers Market this Saturday, August 12. Regional staff for Sen. Sherrod Brown […]
- Summer is a time of growth and opportunity, where we embrace new beginnings and evaluate our path forward in the growing season. Under the guidance of Carol Goland, our former executive director, OEFFA flourished from a […]
- Today, the Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA) launched its marker bill tracker to encourage action in the months leading up to farm bill authorization. Marker bills aren’t designed to pass as standalone bills, but […]
- By Kelly Cabral, OEFFA Farmland Specialist On one rainy morning in late April 2022, I met farmers Mary Lou and Tom Shaw of Milk and Honey Farm to tour their land, meet their animated heritage breed […]