Formed in 1979, the Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA) cultivates a future in which sustainable and organic farmers thrive, local food nourishes our communities, and agricultural practices protect and enhance our environment.
Farm Policy Matters
- On November 16, 2023, President Biden signed a short-term spending bill for the government. But what does this have to do with the farm bill? Well, this also included a one-year extension of the 2018 Farm […]
- In early November, OEFFA Grassroots Policy Organizers Lauren and Nicole had the pleasure of participating in a happy hour and movie screening of Common Ground. The screening was hosted by our partners at the Greater Cincinnati Regional […]
- Every August, members of Congress spend time back in their districts. This is a great time for them to connect with their constituents, support local businesses, and be in their community. Between August and October, we […]
- The Organic Certification Cost Share Program (OCCSP) provides cost share assistance to organic producers and handlers. This partial reimbursement of certification fees is critical for attracting new farmers to organic—and encouraging the continued certification of existing […]
OEFFA has operated an organic certification program since 1981. While the standards and the process have evolved since then, what hasn’t changed is OEFFA’s commitment to uphold the integrity of organics and provide farmers and handler/processors a pathway for profitability.
With 10 percent of small farmers exiting farming each year, and a current median farming age of 59, helping new farmers successfully enter and thrive in their businesses is vitally important for the future of U.S. agriculture.
But, beginning farmers face significant hurdles, including attaining knowledge, skills, and experience in production practices; acquiring the fundamental business planning and financial management knowledge and skills; and accessing farmland and capital as part of the substantial investment farming requires.
OEFFA Outreach is intended to increase awareness of and access to programs and services that support you as sustainable farmers, food system workers, and consumers. Our goal is to provide a platform for growth and networking through the sharing of information and the connection of people.
- Registration is now open for Ohio’s largest sustainable agriculture conference, a three-day event bringing together hundreds of farm and food advocates. The Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association’s (OEFFA) 45th annual conference, Cultivating Care, will take […]
- Originally published in the Autumn 2023 edition of the OEFFA newsletter. As we arrived on a steamy July afternoon, it was hard to imagine anything different for the church’s backyard. Teeming with abundance, there were overflowing […]
- Originally published in the Autumn 2023 edition of the OEFFA newsletter. After nine distinguished years at OEFFA, Policy Director Amalie Lipstreu is leaving to pursue an exciting opportunity with the California Climate and Agriculture Network. Amalie […]
- Yesterday, Reps. Shontel Brown (OH-11) and Alma Adams (NC-12) introduced the Supporting Urban and Innovative Farming Act of 2023. The legislation would build upon the successes of the Office of Urban Agriculture and Innovative Production since […]