Formed in 1979, the Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA) cultivates a future in which sustainable and organic farmers thrive, local food nourishes our communities, and agricultural practices protect and enhance our environment.
Farm Policy Matters
- The sign of a good documentary is that it leaves you with more questions than answers. If this is the case, then Food Chains did exactly that. There was hardly enough time to cover all of […]
- Welcome to 2024! To help us ring in the new year, we wanted to highlight some recent changes to the USDA organic standards and share what’s on the horizon. There have been some notable updates to […]
- February is quickly approaching and our policy team is preparing for another action-packed OEFFA Conference! We’ve put together a series of great workshop offerings focusing on a variety of policy-based topics. If you want to see […]
- We are so thankful to have an impactful and close-knit policy team that plans change-making goals together. At the beginning of December, Policy Director Milo Petruziello, Grassroots Policy Organizers Lauren Hirtle and Nicole Wolcott, and Communications […]
OEFFA has operated an organic certification program since 1981. While the standards and the process have evolved since then, what hasn’t changed is OEFFA’s commitment to uphold the integrity of organics and provide farmers and handler/processors a pathway for profitability.
With 10 percent of small farmers exiting farming each year, and a current median farming age of 59, helping new farmers successfully enter and thrive in their businesses is vitally important for the future of U.S. agriculture.
But, beginning farmers face significant hurdles, including attaining knowledge, skills, and experience in production practices; acquiring the fundamental business planning and financial management knowledge and skills; and accessing farmland and capital as part of the substantial investment farming requires.
OEFFA Outreach is intended to increase awareness of and access to programs and services that support you as sustainable farmers, food system workers, and consumers. Our goal is to provide a platform for growth and networking through the sharing of information and the connection of people.
- The Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association’s (OEFFA) Policy Program and its generous partners invite you to the 2024 OEFFA Policy Film Screening Series. The series features a curated selection of films that explore the many […]
- Registration is now open for Ohio’s largest sustainable agriculture conference, a three-day event bringing together hundreds of farm and food advocates. The Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association’s (OEFFA) 45th annual conference, Cultivating Care, will take […]
- Originally published in the Autumn 2023 edition of the OEFFA newsletter. As we arrived on a steamy July afternoon, it was hard to imagine anything different for the church’s backyard. Teeming with abundance, there were overflowing […]
- Originally published in the Autumn 2023 edition of the OEFFA newsletter. After nine distinguished years at OEFFA, Policy Director Amalie Lipstreu is leaving to pursue an exciting opportunity with the California Climate and Agriculture Network. Amalie […]